Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day One on Campus

10:00 pm

Ok well here I am, sitting in my dorm, all moved in. My first afternoon on campus went ok. When I first got here I spent 30min lugging 6 totes from my car to my dorm. Thankfully I am on the first floor so it wasn't too bad, but I had definitely broke a sweat by the time I finished making my gazillion trips back and forth. After that I only had a few minutes to get some stuff unpacked before it was time for me to head across the street to the daycare to start my new job.
When I got there I found out the director was out for the day so my fate was left up to their faithful assistant director. Let me say so far, she is my favorite person there. She was very friendly and nice and made me feel very comfortable. Sadly I found out this is her last week. But anyway, she had me fill out abunch of paper work and read through their policies and handbook. After that I was sent to start my training. There were about 11 or 12 eight to twelve month olds and I would be working with two other women. Over all the afternoon went well. There really wasn’t a whole lot for me to do and I felt a little awkward because while I have experience working in a daycare, its always different when you start somewhere new. It was relatively chaotic, as only a room full of young ones can be, but it didn’t take long for me to become somewhat comfortable in this new atmosphere and start playing with the children and caring for them. However I have to admit that I didn’t feel the connection with them like I did with the children at the last daycare I worked at. At my previous job it only took one afternoon with those babies and I immediately fell in love with them. Although the setting was much different there- I was the only caregiver to the children and there were allot fewer children in my class so I’m sure that had allot to do with the instant bonding I felt. And I’m sure that in time I will get just as attached to my new kids as I was my old ones. Anyway, well I really enjoyed working with the two other teachers in my class. They were both very nice and didn’t mind helping me with learning the children’s names and the daycares procedures and how to clean up etc. Over all I have to say I am looking forward to working there throughout the school year and I’m so grateful God provided this job for me. The hours are perfect (2 to 3hrs in the afternoons mon-fri) and just being in a Christian atmosphere helps everything go better.

So after work I went back to my dorm and the first thing I did was call my mom to check in with her and let her know how my day went. After that I went about unpacking some of the totes and trying to organize everything. Around 6 or so I decided to head over to Hardin Student Center (this is where all of Leavell College’s classes are held) and get something to eat at the coffee shop because I was getting hungry and I didn’t have any “real food” in my dorm. By this time it was raining so I got my umbrella out and headed to my car. However, by the time I got to the coffee shop it was closed. That made me sad. So I trekked back through the rain to my car and decided to drive through the Church’s Chicken across the street from NOBTS and just go eat in my dorm room. By the way, Church’s biscuits are the bomb. I love those things. You can get three for like a lil over a dollar. Oh yeah, I have a feeling I’m gonna be hittin up that joint pretty often.

After I ate I finished unpacking and putting away everything. About that time I got a phone call from Housing saying that my new roommate would be moving in tomorrow. Her name’s Katherine, that’s all I know. At first I was kinda bummed that I wouldn’t be getting my own room, but after a while I decided that I definitely needed a roommate. I’ve been on campus one day and I still have a “friend count” of zero. Sure, I met some nice people at the daycare, but none of them even go to school here and they were all older than me. If I have a roommate I’ll have at least one friend. And I’ve had time to get everything unpacked and setup before she came which works out nice since we won’t both be having to move in at the same time. That’d be crazy. Well, it’ll be interesting to see how this whole roommate thing works out. Anyone who knows me knows that I’m the kind of person who needs their space. I haven’t shared a room since I was 7 (that’s over 10yrs ago) so this will be an adjustment for me. Having a roommate is probably what I’ve been most nervous about, mainly because it’s the biggest unknown. But I’ve been praying for my roommate for at least a year so hopefully God will give me someone who will become a good friend of mine. I don’t doubt God will test my patience and self-lessness while I’m here, but I do pray that, however this experience turns out, it will help me grow and strengthen my relationship with Him and give me a chance to serve one of my sister’s in Christ.

Ok well while today has been good for the most part there were also some sad moments. Leaving home has been allot harder than I thought it would be. I’ll admit I cried most of the drive over here. I’m sure the people in the cars around me thought I was crazy. But I know that once I make some friends and get to know some people it will get easier being gone.
Well it’s late so I should head to bed. Goodnight.

College Freshman Score Sheet

DAY 1:
Over all rating of day-mediocre
Worst part-not knowing anyone
Best part-moving into my dorm
Friend count-0

Oh guess what just happened? I made a friend!! Well sort of. I was sitting here finishing this blog up when someone knocked on my door. When I opened it there was this girl standing there. She introduced herself as Angela and said her room was right across from me. Apparently she just wanted to see who was living in my dorm because she wanted to say hey. We talked for a lil bit. She said she’s got a router in her room and can get me internet cheap (yay!! Right now I’m just typing this up on word and will post it later when I go to the Hardin Student Center where there’s free wifi). Anyway, she was very nice and obviously outgoing. I’m glad she knocked on my door. She officially bumps my friend count up to one.

No comments: